Thursday, September 13, 2012

Al Jazeera World: Fear, anger and politics part 2






Filmmaker's view

I am a journalist and documentary filmmaker of Algerian origin who has been living in Canada since 1988. Since the terrorist attacks of 9/11, I have witnessed the different ways in which Muslims in the US and Canada are treated. Crossing the American borders if you are a Muslim man is a risk that many are afraid to take.

But I had always thought that perhaps this fear was exaggerated and that Muslims in North America were viewing themselves as victims.
I was astounded then by a 2010 ABC News/ Washington Post poll that showed that 46 per cent of Americans said they held unfavourable attitudes towards Islam - compared with 24 per cent in January 2002 - and that more than half of the American population believes there are more violent extremists within Islam than in any other religion.

I wanted to explore this big change of opinion. This research convinced me that there was a story to tell and this motivated me to make an investigative film about Islamophobia in the US. 

No comments:

Translate