Sunday, March 9, 2014

Videos from Egypt prisons paint bleak picture



Leaked testimonies describe arbitrary arrests, forced confessions, torture and filthy conditions in overcrowded cells.


Videotaped testimonies of prisoners currently held in Egyptian jails are painting a picture of arbitrary arrest, torture, forced confessions and cramped prison cells.

The videos – recorded on mobile phones, smuggled out of prison and obtained by journalists – were the first to show current detainees giving an account of prison conditions from within their cells.

"They tortured me in ways I can't describe. They started making me memorise confessions, they told me, 'You're going to stand before someone and you have to say what we tell you word for word,'" said one young man who claimed to be a university student.
Al Jazeera is withholding the names of the men who appear in the videos for their own safety.

"They were questioning me about things I have no idea about, and about people I don’t know… They said they would bring my mother here and rape her in front of me. Because of all the torture and the threats they made, I told them I will say whatever you want," said the prisoner.

He said he was beaten whenever he refrained from answering.





No comments:

Translate