Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Guantanamo's Child - Omar Khadr (Video)


Unprecedented access and an exclusive interview with Omar Khadr during his first days of freedom.
At 15 Omar Khadr was held at the US military prison at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba. Now 28 years old, after 13 years locked away, he is finally able to speak about his experiences. He was branded as a terrorist and convicted as a murderer.

"I don't wish people to love me, I don't wish people to hate me, I just wish for people to give me a chance," Khadr says.

In 2002, during a military firefight, as a young teen, Khadr was alleged to have thrown a grenade at US troops in Afghanistan, killing one soldier. After a decade at the US-run detention camp, he was transferred to a maximum security facility in Canada.

The Canadian national was released on bail on May 7, 2015 and is appealing his conviction.

In his first full-length interview since his release, Khadr talks to Al Jazeera's Witness about his arrest and subsequent detention and conditions at the controversial military prison.

No comments:

Translate