Friday, March 18, 2011

One Week Ago Today

Last Friday afternoon as I sat quietly in my apartment watching a movie the earth was ab out to move. It would move so violently that if would alter the coast of Japan and the axis of the earths rotation would be changed. Yet there I sat watching a movie not knowing that it would change Japan forever.

When the earthquake began it all seemed so normal, like a thousand previous jolts 10 or 20 seconds of shaking and it would all be over. As the shaking continued one began to realize that normal no longer applied. Suddenly as if a booster rocket had been fired my apartment started shaking like it was placed in the middle of a tornado yet still on the ground. Without realizing it I was on my feet and heading for the door not because I feared for my own safety but for that of my neighbors most of whom are retired.

As I ran down the stairs looking for damage my thoughts focused on what might be needed to help my neighbors. As my feet touched the ground if felt as though I had suddenly been transported to a ship riding the swell of the ocean. Because people here have always lived with earthquakes they don't panic when they occur; meaning fleeing their homes and workplaces in fear isn't the usual practice. But, there they were on the street watching the world shake so violently that it always be seared into their memories.

Yes, one week ago today Japan changed as the fifth largest earthquake ever recorded struck causing a 10 meter Tsunami which wiped-out entire villages and cities killing untold thousands and leaving hundreds of thousands homeless. History was made here but its not the kind of history any country wants to make.

No comments:

Translate