Monday, October 8, 2018

Trolls and threats: Online harassment of female journalists


The advent of social media has meant that the dissemination of hate has become as easy as a simple click.



Journalists are used to having to defend their work in the traditional sense, but the online harassment and trolling of reporters is now a professional hazard that has become something of a norm. The advent of social media has meant that the dissemination of hate has become as easy as a simple click, and the language is getting increasingly ugly and violent.
"I've been attacked as a communist operative, a CIA, every kind of word that you can think of for ugly, for animals, I mean you name it, it's been thrown at me. As a journalist; I'm used to defending the work I do … but how do you respond when someone threatens you with rape? When someone wants you dead?" Maria Ressa told The Listening Post.



No comments:

Translate