Friday, July 11, 2025

Six In The Morning Friday 11 July 2025


Ukraine to receive US air defence systems, says Trump


Mallory Moench
BBC News
Reporting fromLondon
Paul Adams
Diplomatic Correspondent
Reporting fromUkraine


US President Donald Trump has said he will send weapons, including Patriot air defence systems, to Ukraine via Nato.

Trump told NBC News that in a new deal, "we're going to be sending Patriots to Nato, and then Nato will distribute that", adding that Nato would pay for the weapons.

His announcement came after Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky spoke of having a "positive dialogue" with Trump about ensuring that arms arrived on time. He said he had asked for 10 Patriot systems after a surge in Russian drone and missile attacks on Ukrainian cities in the past week.


Nearly 800 killed at Gaza food hubs and aid convoy routes since end of May, UN says

UN human rights office says 615 of the deaths were in vicinity of sites run by the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation


 in Beirut and  in Gaza
Fri 11 Jul 2025 16.07 BST


At least 798 people have been killed while seeking food at distribution points operated by the US- and Israeli-backed Gaza Humanitarian Foundation and other humanitarian convoys since the end of May, the UN human rights office (OHCHR) said on Friday.

The GHF, proposed by Israel as an alternative to the UN aid system in Gaza, has been almost universally condemned by rights groups for its violation of principles of humanitarian impartiality and what they have said could be complicity in war crimes.

“Up until the seventh of July, we’ve recorded now 798 killings, including 615 in the vicinity of the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation, and 183 presumably on the route of aid convoys,” the OHCHR spokesperson Ravina Shamdasani told reporters in Geneva.


PKK fighters begin handing over weapons at ceremony

Kieran Burke with Reuters, dpa

5 hours ago

The Kurdistan Workers' Party has started laying down arms at a ceremony in Iraqi city of Sulaymaniyah. The group has been in an armed struggle with Turkey's government for four decades.

Fighters from the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) on Friday began laying down their weapons at a ceremony near Sulaymaniyah in Iraqi Kurdistan.

The disarmament ceremony comes after 40 years of armed insurgency against Turkey and involved 30 PKK fighters, who symbolically destroyed their weapons, an AFP correspondent reported.

"Thirty PKK fighters, four of whom were commanders, burned their weapons," the correspondent said.


Bolloré media empire’s pro-Russia stance sparks tensions with Élysée Palace

The French presidency has denied reports in Sunday paper Le Journal du Dimanche that President Emmanuel Macron is seeking to "scare" the French by playing up the threat from Moscow, amid mounting concern about the pro-Russia agenda pushed by billionaire Vincent Bolloré's sprawling and increasingly rightwing media empire.

French Sunday newspaper readers woke up this past weekend to starkly different visions of their country's relationship with Russia.

"The bidding war of fear," said the headline of Journal du Dimanche (JDD), accusing President Emmanuel Macron of seeking to panic France in an address to the nation last week when he described Russia as a "threat" to all of Europe.

The JDD, a venerable title founded in 1948, has taken an increasingly right-wing stance critical of Macron since coming under the ownership of tycoon Vincent Bolloré, joining his other right-wing outlets such as Europe 1 radio, rolling news channel C24 and the C8 channel.

Haiti gang violence claims 5,000 lives in less than a year, UN report


Almost 5,000 people have been killed in Haiti since October 2024, displacing hundreds of thousands as gang violence has escalated particularly around the capital Port-au-Prince, according to a U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) report published on Friday.

WHY IT'S IMPORTANT

The surge in violence is deepening Haiti's humanitarian crisis, destabilizing the country and raising concerns of spillover effects in the region.


Reliving History: How the Srebrenica genocide unfolded 30 years ago today



Editor’s note: Today, on the 30th anniversary of the Srebrenica genocide, we’re taking you back to July 11, 1995, for a realtime account of how this tragic day unfolded. Follow our coverage throughout the day as we relive the chaos, confusion, and heartbreak that marked the beginning of one of Europe’s darkest chapters — the systematic separation and execution of more than 8,000 Bosniak men and boys. Our team weaves together archival news reports, survivor testimonies, and court records to build a gripping, hour-by-hour narrative.





No comments:

Translate