Monday, December 3, 2012

The Guardian asks who would you nominate for person of the year?

There's no question who I would nominate:

Malala Yousafzai – 

The assassination attempt on 14-year-old Pakistani schoolgirl Malala Yousafzai made the world acknowledge her bravery in defending girls' right to education.
In a speech last November, Malala said: "I know the importance of education because my pens and my books were taken from me by force. In January 2009 the Taliban restricted my education and told girls they weren't allowed to go to school anymore. I can't tell you how saddened I was by this. This was the worst point in my life. But the girls of Swat aren't afraid of anyone. We continued with our education. We decided that we would go to school with our books hidden under our shawls."
The most heartening news of her recovery has been her request for school books.

Here are some of the comments from the Guardians readers:

Recommend
107
Malala Yousafzai.

Recommend
1
Yes - It has to be Malala.
Before I saw who had been nominated I instantly thought of her.
Her courage in the face of such intense hatred and antipathy is a salutary lesson for us all.


This comment has been chosen by Guardian staff because it contributes to the debate
Recommend
67
I would nominate Malala Yousafzai, for the simple reason that she is fighting for education for all, which is the first step on universal progress. Her bravery really is incredible, as are her family.







No comments:

Translate