Monday, May 5, 2014

A war on witches



As witch-hunts and sorcery killings spread across Papua New Guinea, 101 East investigates shocking human rights abuses.


Traveling to Simbu province in the heart of Papua New Guinea’s vast and rugged Highlands region, my investigation into witch-hunts and sorcery killings began with a story of survival.

Dini Koral had survived being tortured over several hours, and I was advised by local human rights volunteers that the ordeal had left her with horrific scarring.

But when we first met, I could see no visible marks on her face and hands. The formal interview concluded with me recording the details of her horrific attack and that appeared to be the end of it.

Until, conversing outside her traditional Highlands home, Mama Dini offered to show me the scarring left by the attack. I agreed and took my camera into her house.

No comments:

Translate