Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Defectors: what we miss most about life in North Korea

Innocent friendships, community and simple ways of life are just a few things North Koreans miss about home, they tell NK News



So, while many defectors have painful memories about their former lives in the DPRK, there are sometimes elements of life in North Korea which they miss.


Q. What do you miss most about your life in North Korea and why?

Nayoung Koh, aged 25, left North Korea in 2009. She is now a student at university in Seoul

A. I miss my friendships and the innocent people in North Korea.
Although we were poor, we were all friends with our neighbours and we all were very close in North Korea.
Life in South Korea may be affluent and wealthy, but South Koreans aren’t as innocent or sympathetic as North Koreans. It was the most difficult thing about starting anew in South Korea.
Back in North Korea, people always shared food with each other on holidays. But South Koreans are individualistic, and they don’t even know who lives right next door after living in the same apartment complex for 10 years.

Soon-kyung Hong, in his mid 60s, had been a DPRK Trade Councillor before he left North Korea in 2000. Now, he lives in South Korea and is chairman for the Committee for Democratization of North Korea

What do I miss most? First let me remind you one thing. North Korea is a s totalitarian society that completely ignores the individual’s life, preferences, and tastes.
It is a suffocating society where politics govern individual relationships.
As I enjoy my individual freedom in South Korea, I don’t really have any nostalgia for North Korea.
However, it’s true that I miss the family and friends who I have left behind in North Korea.






No comments:

Translate