Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Park Yeon-mi has become an outspoken critic of the country she escaped at 13.

This from a live Q and A she did with the Guardian:

It’s time to wrap up. Thank you to everyone for the questions. Apologies we couldn’t get to them all, but I think we covered most of the bases. Here’s a parting note from Park Yeon-mi:
When I was four years old, my mum told me not to even whisper. Even the birds and mice could hear me. Even in China I had to hide. My whole life I had to hide. I hid my opinions and could not express anything.
Everyone participating in this conversation have given me a platform to express my voice. Thank you for listening and giving me this opportunity. I hope we can have more of these conversations.


This comment has been chosen by Guardian staff because it contributes to the debate
What would you say is the one aspect of life in North Korea that you think foreigners from outside the country don't know about or understand, even if they read about North Korea a lot?
As a North Korean myself, I can’t even describe it honestly to you, so how can we expect the media to give the whole picture? The day North Korea opens their door and lets people free, we will understand them fully. Hopefully it won’t be too late for them.

This comment has been chosen by Guardian staff because it contributes to the debate
How was sport regarded in North Korea? Was it openly enjoyed or a tool of social control?
How were North Korea's international sporting achievements, real or otherwise, presented to the population?
When people win, they have to say a speech, and talk about how their success comes from King Jong-un. Nothing escapes the regime. If you lose, you can be punished, or even sent to jail. Sport just becomes propaganda.



No comments:

Translate