Thursday, January 30, 2020

Coronavirus Wuhan diary: Living alone in a city gone quiet

Guo Jing lives in Wuhan, the Chinese city at the heart of the outbreak of a new virus which has got the world worried.
Wuhan has been under lockdown since 23 January, to try to contain the infection. Transport is shut down, most shops and businesses closed, and people are being advised to stay at home.
Jing is a 29-year-old social worker and rights activist who lives on her own. For the past week, she has kept a diary, which she shares here with the BBC.

Thursday 23 January - the day of the lockdown

I didn't know what to do when I woke up and learned about the lockdown. I don't know what it means, how long it will last and what kind of preparations I should make.
There are a lot of infuriating comments [on social media]: that many patients cannot be hospitalised after diagnosis [because of a lack of places], that patients with fever are not properly treated.
Many more people are wearing masks. Friends have told me to stock up on supplies. Rice and noodles have almost sold out.
A man was buying lots of salt, and someone asked him why he was buying so much. He replied: "What if the lockdown lasted for a whole year?"
I went to a pharmacy and it was already limiting the number of shoppers. It had already sold out of masks and alcohol disinfectant.
After stocking up on food, I am still in shock. Cars and pedestrians are dwindling, and the city has come to a stop all out of a sudden.
When will the city live again?

Friday 24 January - a silent New Year's Eve

The world is quiet, and the silence is horrifying. I live alone, so I can only tell there are other human beings around from the occasional noises in the corridor.
I have a lot of time to think about how to survive. I don't have any resources or connections.
One of my goals is not to fall sick, so I have to make myself exercise. Food is crucial to survival too, so I have to know whether there is enough supply.
The government hasn't said how long the lockdown will last, nor how we can carry on functioning. People are saying it might last until May.
The pharmacy and the convenience store downstairs were closed today, but it was comforting to see that couriers are still out delivering food.
Noodles are all sold out in the supermarkets, but there is some rice. I also went to the market today. I bought celery, garlic shoots and eggs.
After going home, I washed all my clothes and took a shower. Personal hygiene is important - I think I am washing my hands 20 to 30 times a day.
The rest of the diary can be read at The BBC

No comments:

Translate